Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We found Narnia!

This past weekend, all four Wheaton girls ventured out in a RENTAL CAR (yes, on the wrong side of the road and all!) to the Coromandel, about 3 hours southwest of Auckland.  This is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places on the north island... and it definitely was.  I'm not going to write much because I think my pictures will speak for themselves.

We stayed in a hotel/lodge place that we each paid about $20 USD for, a wonderful change from the sketchy ("dodgy") hostels we have been staying in other places.  This was our view, from the front and back of the lodge cabin.

    

We visited four beaches while we were there.  The first one was beautiful, but nothing compared to the three we saw the next day.  We ate dinner at a BEAUTIFUL Italian restaurant, and watched the sunset on the water.



The next morning, we woke up at 6:30 a.m. to get on a bus to Hot Water Beach.  This is a beach that has thermal hot springs underneath, so you rent a shovel for $5 and dig a hot tub!  The water was actually wayyy too hot for me to do much but stick a toe in, but my friend Maggie dug herself a hole and sat in it while the cool tide came in on top of her.  The sunrise on the beach was amazing...





Second journey was to Cathedral Cove, site of the second Narnia movie (I haven't actually seen it, except that one part where they come out of the cove into Narnia).  It was apparent why they chose this location.  We hiked about 45 minutes over a mountain/hill to the cove and it was totally worth it!  This was the first place where I really realized that I am living on a tropical island for a semester...


No comments:

Post a Comment