Sunday, February 22, 2009

Plane Ride

Thanks to a suggestion from my aunt, I wrote down notes while I was on the 12-hour plane ride to Auckland. I was very worried about flying and she suggested this might take my mind off of that. Did it? Read on to find out! (Please see previous blog for disclaimer about lack of sleep and bad puns/writing…)

(I apologize for the lack of pictures in the last two posts. I'm still working on getting my own internet set up so for now I'm writing from an internet cafe).



HOUR 1 – BIG plane! I’ll be fine (I hope). I’m sitting in the aisle seat thanks to a gracious seat change by my friend Jay (from Wheaton). The plane is set up as 3-4-3, so I’m on the outside of a “3” row, on the right. We’re right next to the wing. There are lots of movies to pick from! I’m trying to save them for later. Woah, mint tea and lava cake are on the menu of choices for food?! For real?!

I’ve watched 2 episodes of Two and a Half Men now. Thanks to Uncle Rick and Aunt Heather, I have a rice bag behind my back that is making the ride MUCH more comfortable. There is a baby crying two rows ahead of me… ugh!

Food! It’s been a while so I’m gonna hope it’s HOUR 2 by now. I received seared tuna, salad, and sparkling wine for dinner (no ID check! We’re in international waters so I’m legal now!).

MORE food. We’re still in hour two. I now know why business men are so fat. Although this makes me wonder if I’ve ever seen a really fat businesswoman and I don’t think I have. So maybe that’s not correct.

I went to the bathroom and realized that I’m doing fine! I’m a little bit homesick/sad to leave the country, but I haven’t started panicking once yet.

HOUR 6! Just figured out how to track my flight. About half way there… I’m listening to the New Zealand mix my friend from Wheaton made me. Also, the map shows that we recently passed Hawaii.

HOUR 7 – Watching “Four Christmases” the movie. I haven’t slept yet, but I’m enjoying the movies and not panicking so I’m not going to complain.

HOUR 9 – Slept a little. Now I’m extremely sore from being stuck in such a small seat and sleeping. But, it’s breakfast time! Which means less than 3 hours to Auckland!

HOUR 12 – 2 episodes of House, bad tea, an egg frittata that reminds me way too much of my dining hall food at Wheaton… Very excited for land (and a SHOWER)! Thank goodness we’re almost there.

2 comments:

  1. Here's my life:
    should be asleep.
    really tired.
    worked 8.5 hours today.
    had fun, lots of cool people there.
    watched oscars. yay wall-e, bennybutton, and slumdog!
    otis is on the bed behind me. wrong. he just jumped down.
    it's snowing and every few minutes there are large cracking sounds coming from the window. my best guess is either it's large pieces of ice being blown from the wind or i have an admirer who feels it necessary to throw large rocks at the window for 20 minutes.
    hmmm...probably the former.
    going to bedddd.

    there. now you feel like you're home, right? pointless stories courtesy of your darling sister.

    miss + love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw. owl city lyrics on top. nice choice.
    p.s. (x5) the captcha thinger that makes you enter letters for verification just had be write "thrunted".
    bye.

    ReplyDelete