Recently, City Year San Jose hosted an event we call "Starry Starry Night," which is a gala/fundraiser that our organization holds each year. Each corps member was allowed to sit at a table with guests who had paid up to $150 for a ticket and dinner. I was placed at a table with the co-founder and other high-ranking members of NVIDIA, one of our corporate sponsors. During the "Fund-A-Need" portion of the night, my table donated over $50,000!
My table also happened to be next to a sponsored table, which means that a company such as Applied Materials or Bank of America sponsors a table so that teachers and community members have the opportunity to attend the event free of charge. I was next to the table that was full of teachers from the school I work at, as well as a family with two students who attend our after school program. I watched as each teacher donated what they could to our organization, and held back tears when the mother of the two students handed me a check.
It was incredible to see people from all different backgrounds offer what they could to our organization, and that moment was one of the proudest for me this year.
I thought I would share a video that a colleague of mine shot during the night, featuring some of the teachers from the school I serve at and other members of the San Jose community:
No comments:
Post a Comment